Canada Scaffold Supply was founded by Sam and Siranoush Lazarian who, like thousands of others, arrived in Canada as immigrants. Canada was chosen as a country without barriers … a land with a diverse yet cohesive population.
Having arrived from Europe, Sam and Siranoush recognized that through innovation and keeping an open mind that anything was possible. Over a culmination of 40 years (1974 to 2014), their vision combined with the hard work and ingenuity of the entire team ensured that the dream was realized.
Sam’s career in Canada began as an accountant at a local scaffold company. On August 26, 1974, Sam and Siranoush Lazarian established their own scaffold business with a motto “Need Scaffolding? Call Sam – the Scaffold Man!”
Canada Scaffold Supply Co. Ltd. was born to provide both the commercial and residential markets with engineering, supplying and erecting all types of scaffolding. He started off by selling and renting imported scaffolding from Italy and Germany. Over the next few years, he began to manufacture his own scaffolding equipment, simultaneously developing a line of connectors for wood and concrete construction – CSS Connectors.
Thirty years later, Canada Scaffold has grown from 5 employees and one location, to over 80 employees and three locations. All locations are conveniently located on Mitchell Island in Richmond, B.C.
The second generation is carrying on the vision of their parents today, managing Canada Scaffold Supply – a business structure that is very much like a family.
For Alice and Madlene Lazarian, the daughters of Sam and Siranoush Lazarian, business and personal lives were entwined. The passion they shared for both created the framework – much like scaffolding. In using the analogy of how business is like a family, they recognized what their parents stood for when they fully supported Alice’s and Madlene’s desire to pursue the fields of engineering and business studies.
Alice and Madlene graduated from the University of British Columbia and the University of Toronto with degrees in Mechanical Engineering, Civil Engineering and a Masters in Business Administration. They knew that education was the key to family business continued success – that to be able to deliver the very best products and services to our customers.
Celebrating its 40th anniversary in 2014, BC company grew even larger, consolidated all departments under one giant roof on Mitchell Island, Richmond and expanded into Kelowna and Vancouver Island. The company now manufactures, rents, sells, and installs all types of scaffolding, shoring, swing stage and bleachers. Canadian Welding Bureau certified welding scale structural steel fabrication shop, located on ten acres of property, is well equipped to accommodate large commercial development projects as well as private contractors and homeowners alike.
Canada Scaffold is located on Mitchell Island, 9.5 acres surrounded by the Fraser River. Site features:
• 200,000 sq ft custom-built facility including a 6,000 sq ft office, 60,000 sq ft covered outdoor working area, and 60,000 sq ft manufacturing facility.
• Newly constructed office featuring both individual offices as well as an open concept work environment.
• Spacious lunch rooms; a gym with showers/change rooms; entertainment room with pool, ping pong, and air hockey; as well as satellite TV throughout the facility.
• A manufacturing facility with state-of-the-art industrial spray booth, three 5 ton overhead cranes, 12 custom welding booths, and a tool & die space.
• A body shop, heavy-duty mechanic, freight elevators, and a full-time caretaker with his own suite.
• Community vegetable gardens that occupy the front of the property, used and enjoyed by all employees.
• Currently under construction is an onsite daycare, as well as a 50 seat restaurant.